We strive to be a forward thinking church, reaching out and anticipating the future needs of our community here in Norwich; however we are also fond of the history associated with our church. The church receives many interested visitors during Heritage Open Days.
Chapel Field Road was opened on 14th July 1881, and built to seat almost 1,000 worshippers. By 1891 there was an exciting and imaginative Sunday School with over 1,000 children attending. In the 1930s, thought was again given to a new Sunday School building, one that would be absolutely up-to-date and reflect new methods of teaching, but the plans were shelved: in 1942 the greater part of the Sunday School was demolished during bombing.
Eventually, in 1954 came the eagerly awaited stone-laying for the new Sunday School. It was a fine purpose-built school with a large upstairs hall, with a good stage and a number of rooms on the ground floor. These rooms form the basis of our premises today, which were further enhanced in 2001 when the Church Centre was opened. This provided a new entrance, between the two buildings, to both the church hall and the church itself. Some practical facilities were remodelled at the same time, and on the first floor, a new, small worship area, the Upper Room, was designed and furnished.